Search engines are getting smarter every day, which makes it harder than just quality content to rank better. But, if you take proper actions for on-page optimization, it becomes easier to get a good reputation in the eyes of Google (and other search engines). I have curated a comprehensive on page SEO checklist that will help you to optimize your website for better rankings.
- Do keyword research with Google’s Keyword Planner.
Find optimal keywords by looking for phrases having a large number of search volume and has low competition.
- Do not use a subdomain.
Read a blog post from Moz to understand it better.
- Use rich snippets.
This post explains it very well.
- Install google analytics & google analytics plugin if using WordPress.
- Setup Google webmaster tools.
- Make google business page & do Local citations(if relevant).
- Use easy to notice and good-looking Social sharing buttons.
I use Easy social share buttons.
- Link to 2-3 authoritative sites with a dofollow link
Add keyword in the title tag(55 characters), meta description(155 characters), and H1 tag(only one per page), and in the URL of the post.
- Have e meaningful URL
Your URL must look something like this deepkakkad.com/focused-keyword-here. Google appreciates keyword in first three to five words of the URL. Also, do not use stop words in URL.
- Check for duplicate content & update the content frequently once posted
Must not be more than 10%Consider using LSI keywords.Keep the keyword content density around 1.5%
- Make sure navigation is easy for the customers.
Use proper menus and breadcrumbs
- Check for canonicalization and canonical tag
Read this shoutmeloud post to understand this better.
- Add contact information and testimonials
- Make sure you have secured certificate(SSL)
Did I hear you say that your site isn’t e-commerce?
Nevertheless, have this.
- Use meaningful file name and alt tag for your images.
- Make and submit robots.txt and XML sitemap
This it to make sure crawlers are crawling your website correctly.
- Have you done any SEO audit to check if everything is going correctly?
- Check your website load time
Website load time around 3.5 seconds is a good deal. Here is a screenshot from GTMetrix showing statistic for deepkakkad.com-
Plugins I used to make up to this score are – W3 total cache, WP performance score booster, and Fast velocity minify.Install CDN.
- Check you don’t have broken links
- Have cross browser compatibility.
You can use Browsershots to see how your website looks from different browsers.
- Do Noindex the thin pages like category pages and tags pages.
You don’t want to rank each category and tag page on Gooogle.
- Customize 404 error page
Check your 404 errors by going to webmaster tools dashboard > Crawl errors > Not found
- Make your website mobile-friendly
Use Google’s tool here to check how your website looks like in mobiles.
- Must have 800-1000 words on each page.
- Add links to review pages (Google review, Yelp review, etc.)
Ask customers if they want to add a review on any of their preferred platforms.
- It is always advised to make ‘REL=”NOFOLLOW”‘ in your code.
This is done to tell google not to harm your reputation because of spammy comments you might get.
- Always monitor the bounce rate.
It is said that Google doesn’t directly monitor bounce rates but if not bounce rate than some other similar metric.
if you have a bounce rate around 30% is okay. You must be concerned if it is more than 40%. You can use plugins like External Links In A New Tab to increase on-site time and decrease bounce rate. Do internal linking for decreasing bounce rate. 2-3 Internal links is good.
- Review this awesome comprehensive checklist of SEO tools!
I made this comprehensive on page SEO checklist to make sure that you don’t have to wander through different posts to find if you left any particular aspect. I have included all the aspects possible according to the current scenarios and SEO updates. Bookmark and share this on page SEO checklist! 🙂